Redux from March 24, 2008-from my NonnaLuna site.
This pie has been an Easter tradition in my family and is meant to be eaten cold. We serve it as an antipasto.
Some ricotta cheese pies are sweet. This is a savory pie that has a pungent flavor with a hint of sweetness because of the nonpareils.
When serving, serve small slivers. One nine-inch pie is meant to serve 12
RICOTTA CHEESE PIE
Preheat oven 425°F
- 1 Ready made pie crust-unbaked 9″
- 1 Container Ricotta Cheese (Whole Milk-15 oz.)
- 2 Large Eggs
- ¾ to 1 Cup grated Parmesan Cheese
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4 oz. Sliced Pepperoni
Non-pareils (Colored candy sprinkles you will find in the baking section of the grocery store).
- Separate 1 egg. Set aside
- Prepare the bottom pie crust into a 9″ pie plate.
- In a medium bowl, mix together: ricotta, egg white (from the separated egg) and the other egg, parmesan cheese and pepper. Fold in sliced pepperoni.
- Put cheese mixture into the prepared crust. Cover with top crust. Seal edges together. With pastry bush, brush egg yolk over top crust.
- Sprinkle with a generous amount of non-pareil sprinkles over egg-yolked top.
Bake until crust is golden brown, about 25 minutes.
Cool on cooling rack. After completely cooled, place in refrigerator until chilled.